Friday, August 10, 2012

Recipe for a bad blogger:

Uh, hi.

*twiddles thumbs awkwardly*

So. It's been a while. Apparently I'm sort of like a holiday blogger or something, and that, good people, was never my intent. Life has come between me and my blog, stealing any spare words I once had and directing them elsewhere. My blog has abandonment issues now I'm sure. (Though I log in every day and creep stalk read everyone else's fantastic posts. Love soaking up the wisdom out in the bloggosphere.)

It's just that I haven't had the words to blog. They've all been thrown at my novel writing (in the midst of a redraft on one project, a rewrite on two others..oye), my emailing of the strange people who make livings doing wedding stuff (talk about gluttons for punishment), and writing cover letters (which is basically like querying yourself...and so when you fail it's not like it's your book that's crappy--it's really you. Can we say fun?)

But, those are really all excuses. I'll make time to nurture this blog now, dammit. Really. I might even stumble upon something humorous or *gasp* informative to say (hey, a girl can dream.) Until then, here's what's changed:

I went to the dark side and joined twitter. Stage name: @leeonagomez . (Yes, that's me, and yes, that's a set of shark jaws behind me. No, I do not have any makeup on, nor am I wearing photo-acceptable clothing, but I was at the beach on vacation, 'kay?)

Entered some query contests. Did pretty well. Now panicking..erm...I mean trying to make the actual manuscript have as much of a splash. On that note, stop by Taryn Albright's fantastic blog (here) and say hello to my MC, 'Rissa :). Maybe one day I'll lay my soul on the line and get her out into the world. (And if you'd like to go post a comment on how to improve the query, what you liked or disliked about it, I'll love you forever. Srsly.)

My dogs are bad--wait, nothing there is new.

I have fifteen pounds of purple M&M's being delivered to my house in three days. That they're supposed to be used for wedding favors should keep me from utilizing them as a stress-coping mechanism, but I make no promises.

180 adorable, hexagonal, 1.5 ounce jars are also en route a mi casa, to be filled with the above mentioned candy. Here's to hoping there's actually a filler left.

Downloaded Gimp software. Have absolutely no idea how to use it, especially because the user manual won't open on my computer.

I started playing music again, specifically with my flute and violin. The latter sounds so terrible that my fiance ran home for the weekend when he saw me pull the case out. Even the dogs have stopped howling. Now they just glare.

My guitar is out of tune...oops, that's not a new development either. What is bad, however, is that I've convinced myself it doesn't sound that bad. Como se dice denial en espanol?

I've been working on my Spanish and my Czech. The former is much easier than the latter, though I can insult you quite fluently in either. And say belly button in Czech (pupĂ­k!). I'm not sure how that word will ever come up in conversation, but it seems to be the only one I remember on a daily basis. Oh, how proud my Mimi must be.

Ehem. Well. I daresay that's quite more than enough from me. So how're y'all doing? Well? I hope so. :)


What I'm listening to: So Blue--The Trishas

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Lee! I was just wondering how you've been and how the query is coming along :) Good luck with your manuscript. And congrats on playing music again! That's amazing and I wish I had that courage. And yay, Twitter!! I'm a little new to it as well and look forward to following you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Saumya!

      Thanks for stopping by! Funny you should ask about the query/manuscript. After deciding something was irreparably wrong with it, I put the ms away and ignored it for a year and a half. Wrote 2 other story drafts in the interim. Then, on a whim, I saw a YA query contest and decided to enter. Long story short, I sort of won, which in turn resparked my interest in the story. It's going through massive edits right now, and--fingers crossed--will be ready for submission to agents by Christmas. (eek!)

      As far as music: In my case, it's not courage. It's mostly selective deafness and the willingness to suck. I’ve found that’s the best way for me to learn an instrument (or do anything, really). Turn off the critic and stick with it. Then one day I hopefully realize I’ve made progress :). And twitter--it's fun. I'm definitely still a newb, but I'll follow you back :)

      How's med school going? Have you decided a specialty yet? (I think you're superwoman, by the way.) Is your agent shopping your ms yet? Hope all is going fantastic!

      Delete